Friday, September 28, 2012

Bombshell Profile: Gina Bee

I'm very honored to have met and interview this amazing Cosplayer: "Gina Bee" who is also our latest addition for Bombshell Profile

FACTS:
Name: Gina Bee
Birthday: 11/12/90
Birthplace: Long Island, NY
Height: 5ft 7
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair color: Chestnut brown
Hair Length: Medium
Eye color: Honey Brown
Ethnicity: Sicilian

Likes: reading fantasy novels, cooking, arts and crafts, anime, comics

BIO:
The Sicilian Bombshell cosplayer was born in Long Island, NY, whose creativity comes from the fact that her mother is an art teacher, and her father is a contractor. Gina has been making arts and crafts as well as painting murals for peoples homes and selling custom painted shirts for as long as she can remember.

Gina also learned Japanese at Cornell University before attending Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan. Where she graduated with a BA in East Asian Studies and Japanese.

Gina Bee is currently single, and looking for a guy who can match her geekyness and still accept her for who she is.

PICTURE GALLERY:














INTERVIEW:

Brian: Welcome Gina, Thank you for sparing some time to talk to us out of your busy schedule.

Gina: Not at all! I always love meeting new people, so its really quite fun to have this opportunity.

Brian: You probably get asked this alot but how and when did you get started in cosplay?

Gina: I actually have, what I think, is a silly reason as to how I started: When I was younger, I dressed really tomboyish and was really into DBZ among other 'boy' anime. When I was 13, neighbor of mine saw me one day in a DBZ Tshirt I had gotten for Christmas, and she told me all about conventions and how people who like anime dress up and go to them. Immediately I wanted to go. I begged my parents for the longest time to let me, and in the end, I went to my first convention when I was 14 on the grounds that I paid for the whole thing myself. To this day, I cannot for the life of me remember what my neighbor looked like, or what her name was. I really wish I could thank her for letting me know about the world of cosplay and tell her how much she influenced my life.

So I started dressing up when I was in high school, but I didnt start posting photos of myself and actually cosplaying more seriously until May of 2011. I was studying abroad in Japan for the 2010-2011 school year, and I was there during the quake. Because my program ended up getting shut down, I had to return to America since I no longer had a school backing my student visa. I wanted to really put my effort into something related to Japan, and just extend my experience, so I focused on cosplay that may when I came home.

And I havent stopped since.

Brian: That really means alot, especially for anyone who is trying to reach their dream for anything.... its very inspiring and I hope it continues for you Gina, remember "Great Fortune favors the Bold".

Gina: Thank you. =]

Brian: So you went to your first convention when you were 14, what was it?

Gina: Katsucon actually. This was two or so venues ago, back in 2004 or 2005, around there. I had two costumes then, Sango from Inu Yasha, and Sailor mars. Since those days though, I have actually remade both of the costumes to fit in my current level of costumes I have, since I have so much sentimental attachment to them being my first ones. I actually went by myself...and had the best time of my life. That year I had met so many people who, it seemed for the first time, had shared my interests and I could openly discuss my feelings about my hobbies or whatever I wanted. I had felt to that point that I was one of the only people who loved things like Lord of the Rings and the Hitchhikers guide and such, let alone anime.

At that time I was being severely bullied at school for being a nerd, so to find a Nerd Alliance of sorts at a con, where I could see that I wasnt alone, was one of the most fantastic things I could experience at that age.

Brian: I hear ya, its amazing to know that we are not alone in the universe.

Gina: But thats the thing really, Most people see my profile and think, "oh look at her body, look at her face, she must always get what she wants in life. She must have been the popular one in school" and its totally not true. I was picked on for the same reasons most video gamers and anime lovers and novel reading people do.

Brian: Never judge a book by its cover.

Gina: I was a straight up nerd. I dressed like a tomboy until i was 20. I even to this day always have my nose in a book. But I am comfortable with who I am, and I like being geeky at times. I am just so happy to be able to network out now and find others who share the same passions as I do.

Brian: agreed, So you been going to conventions since 04, how many conventions have you been to since 04?

Gina: I actually have a list lying around here... Ive been to:
2005: Katsucon, Otakon,
2006:Otakon
2007: Katsucon, Otakon
2008: Otakon
2011: Ikasucon, Matsuricon, Ohayocon
2012: Anime Boston, Anime Expo, Otakon, Dragon*Con

Brian: What is consider your favorite overall con?

Gina: My favorite so far? would actually have to be Anime Expo, It was my first West coast con, and it was so overwhelmingly exciting to be there! 

I flew home with so many business cards of the photographers who worked with me, and it was the first time I ever had that experience. Dragon*Con was also amazing in the sense that it was such a mature con!

I've been getting into some trouble lately with showing my butt at cons, with the complaint that its not "family friendly"

But there were no such problems at Dragon*Con and so I was able to walk around confident I wouldnt get kicked out.

Brian: But there is nothing wrong with your "butt"....it is amazing...their just jealous lol 

Gina: hahaha. Thats what most fans tell me. But if they dont want me exposing it, then talk to the artists who are drawing the characters that way! 

I am just trying to make an accurate representation of a character, its not like I am changing the design to show it off!

Brian: its art, don't blame the artist 

Gina: of course I wouldnt. I wouldnt be wearing the outfit if I didnt think it was awesome. 

Brian: I noticed that you have wore two of DC's and Marvel's iconic characters: Hawkgirl and Scarlett Witch. If this two ever fought...who would you think would win and why? 

Gina: Oh god. Well, I would have to say Hawkgirl simply because I am biased. My father collects Golden Age DC comics, so I grew up on them. I always loved Hawkgirl, and how bad ass she is as a weapons master. So my brain wants to say that, but in my heart I know that Scarlet Witch would be the true victor. I mean, I guess what era of Scarlet Witch would also factor in, but her power has been redefined a few times, and every time she gets more and more badass. So super power for super power, probably Scarlet witch.

Brian: You are amazingly gorgeous Gina, So you probably get asked for your number by alot of guys. What is your craziest or strangest story from your trips at Cons? 

Gina: I think you would expect me to get hit on a great deal at cons...but its actually quite the opposite. I think its because I become sort of tall when I have my heels on, and then most of my costumes expose a good percentage of skin, so I think most people are embarrassed to actually look at me and try to instigate anything. The people who do actually ask for my number or attempt to hit on me are actually people who arent as related to the con. For example, a bunch of frat boys decided to hit up the rave at Anime Boston because it was in their area and they had nothing better to do... they were the ones to approach me, not the really awesome Link I saw who I wished came up to me to talk instead. 

Brian: Who or What is your biggest inspiration in your life in terms of both cosplay and personal support?

Gina: In terms of cosplay, I have to say that I am really inspired by Yaya Han. Her level of craftsmanship is beyond beautiful, and the level of detail she brings to each costume makes even me cross eyed by just looking at it. I couldnt imagine the amount of time it took her to learn how to make what she does and the time it takes for her to actually create what she envisions. I hope one day to be able to bring that meticulous level of detail to what I make. 

I am also really inspired by all the new superhero movies coming out. Being able to see professional costume makers create what was before something only nerds did.... I can really see what can be made when a budget isnt the issue. I actually really want to make costumes for Hollywood one day, so I spend a lot of time analyzing those outfits as well.

In terms of personal support, that would be hands down my father. He is an avid Trekkie, as well with his collecting of comics, and he is the one who introduced me to Tolkien and Douglas Adams and Piers Anthony among countless other amazing authors. He and I were able to share watching DBZ together, and now we still watch it together when I see him even though Ive moved out of the house. With my cosplay he has been my biggest support, and since he is a contractor, lets me have free reign of his shop and all his power tools to make whatever I need.

Brian: Beautiful answers, So what are your future plans? such whats your next convention and next costume?

Gina: I actually Have a ton of costumes in planning stage, and a few cons I would like to show up at.

I am going to be appearing at NYCC as a D20 girl, to work a booth I believe, but I am also making plans to go to Anime USA, Katsucon, PAX East and Anime Expo this year so far.
"Costume Wise", I am working on Revy from black lagoon, Lucy from Elfen Lied, Mileena from Mortal Kombat and Urd from Ah my goddess. They should be showing up at various cons this year.

Brian: Can't wait!!! D20 girl.... what is that exactly? 

Gina: It is a relatively new agency of sorts, who is looking to hire girls to work booths at cons...but who are actually nerdy and involved with what they are representing. I thought it was a fantastic idea, so I applied to be one, and they immediately took me into the community. 

Brian:  In addition to Facebook, do you have a twitter or youtube to channel to keep in touch with your fans? 

Gina: I actually have a ton of ways to be contacted. I have a twitter account, twitter.com/GinaBCosplay where I always tweet back if someone feels like talking. i also have a DeviantArt account: http://ginabcosplay.deviantart.com/ if that is where people prefer to reside. I currently do not have a youtube channel, though I do show up on Elysiam Entertainments live feeds in relation to con coverage and just geeky conversations in general, where people can interactively talk to me through a chat box while I am on live.

Brian: If you could meet anyone in the world, either it may be a character or actor, who would it be and why? 

Gina: I would love for the experience to live in Rivendell for a few days, to just talk to the elves. I have always wanted to be able to talk to them ever since I first read the books when I was in fourth grade. To learn of their magic, and to just hear their timeless stories would be such an honor.

Brian: I'm not sure if you heard but their bringing back DBZ, what do you think about the return of Goku? 

Gina: I heard about the new movie. I am kinda hesitant to be excited about it. After GT, the franchise was hurting pretty bad.. I have no idea where they plan on taking it all, but regardless you can bet anything that Ill be the first in line to see it. For me, as long as they can assemble the original voice acting team, or at least get it to sound like the original team, that will do wonders. I dont think its possible though to add any more muscles or shine to said muscles to Goku though. HAHA

Brian: haha, well Thank you soo much for spending the time to speak to us, I really hope we can keep in touch for future projects. Lastly, the final question: If you can say anything right now to all your family, friends, cosplayers. What would it be? 

Gina: I am frequently messaged about tips for cosplay, whether its making things, or just looking for support. I am actually really touched that fans can feel that they can do that. I am always willing to share how I make things, or to hash out ideas for other peoples cosplay, or just talk about how to make things more suited to a persons body type. I know many people who are looking to cosplay worry about things like weight and body type, but I do the same thing. I put a lot of time and consideration in adapting the outfit to hide what I perceive as my own flaws and to highlight what I think are my better traits. Dont be embarrassed about yourself because you think you have flaws, and really try to do what you want. Chances are you can actually create something better than you thought. I myself rely a lot on advice from my dad for making weapons or armor, and advice from even others in the community for random things. I am just one person in a whole community who are willing to talk and help the new and upcoming people who wish to join us in what we do.

VIDEO GALLERY:


Dragon*Con 2012 Interview with Animaze Guy-photosnxs along with fellow cosplayer and Bombshell Profile Alexia Jean Grey (see her Bombshell Profile HERE)



AnimeExpo Live Season 4 Episode 5 Featuring Gina Bee!!


TEMPLAR NOTE:
Also Gina Bee is currently taking on small commissions; If you are interested, please PM her! She can also be found here for tagged con photos and things she doesn't have official photos yet for: http://www.facebook.com/ginabeecosplay


-Brian Lansangan
Follow me on Twitter @MrSnugglenutz84

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT POLICY

We’re all here for the same reason: to share information, to discuss all things pop-culture, to better ourselves as writers, directors, cinematographers, producers, photographers... whatever our creative pursuit happens to be.

Criticism is valuable as long as it is "constructive", but personal attacks are grounds for deletion; you don't have to agree with us to learn something. We’re all here to help each other, so thank you for adding to the conversation!