Friday, August 3, 2012

The AVGN: Movie & How I Almost Got Involved

Back in March, I finished up my portfolio website (TemplarDigital.com) and sent it out everywhere I could. From local production companies to big ol' production companies in Los Angeles.

As I was emailing and applying everywhere I remembered that the Angry Video Game Nerd (aka James Rolfe) had posted a video on his website (Cinemassacre.com) giving out contact info for anyone interested in helping out with the production of his first feature length movie, the AVGN: Movie.


I nervously sent out a quick cover letter of sorts and a link to my portfolio site and got a response the following day from Reed Johns in the Art Department. Much to my chagrin it was an unpaid gig to help the art department set up the miniature models and special effects, both durring principle photography and post but I was still very excited to get the opportunity to help out with one of my favorite internet personalities as well as a hero of mine, James being an independent filmmaker and all.


I was warned that it was going to be a solid month (April 1- May 4) of long work days and no pay but plenty of experience. So, I accepted it. Like many of us I've been painfully unemployed for the last year, so I had to do some serious number crunching and get all my ducks in a row in order to go out to L.A. on the cheap.


I called a fellow filmmaker/long term friend of mine (Billy D. Mann) who's been living out there in L.A. since 2006 or so and explained to him my situation. He agreed to let me stay out there for a month free of charge which made everything easier to plan. It turns out that my unemployment check came in late the same week I was suppose to leave for California... needless to say it was a serious wrench thrown into my plans and I was unable to make my way out west for the film shoot.


I was in a slight depression as I was looking forward to it but sometimes these things aren't meant to be. Maybe I'll still have an opportunity to help out Cinemassacre in some capacity in the future.

I, like many of The Nerd's fans, am eagerly awaiting to see the AVGN: Movie. I wish James the best of luck and hope that his first full-length feature is a complete success as well as the beginning of many full-length films directed by him.

Since then I got a interview for an Assistant Video Editor job at EA (Electronic Arts) Tiburon but didn't land the job. And 2 weeks ago I got a response from a big new-media production company in New York. We'll see what happens with that.

Here's his last AVGN: Movie update, enjoy!



-Eric Chacón
Follow me on Twitter @CaptxCrunch

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT POLICY

We’re all here for the same reason: to share information, to discuss all things pop-culture, to better ourselves as writers, directors, cinematographers, producers, photographers... whatever our creative pursuit happens to be.

Criticism is valuable as long as it is "constructive", but personal attacks are grounds for deletion; you don't have to agree with us to learn something. We’re all here to help each other, so thank you for adding to the conversation!