Monday, May 21, 2012

Deh-Shay! Deh-Shay! Bah-Sah-Rah! Bah-Sah-Rah!

The world famous composer, Hans Zimmer rises to the task of scoring the third and final Dark Knight film. Zimmer's approach to the Dark Knight Rises has been called unusual by the film's director. And if that's any indication, this will be one hell of a soundtrack.

In an interview with MTV, Zimmer mentioned that he did go over the story arc of the film with Nolan and discussed the themes for many of the films returning and debuting characters. But insisting that he can't say more than that. In the interview he goes on to say...
"The thing about Chris and myself is, what we try to do, is treat each one with the autonomy it deserves, to try and invent and reinvent, not just go over old ground," he said. "I think that's what was most exciting for people on 'The Dark Knight.' They knew we were doing the 'Batman' movie, but they had no idea it was going to be that kind of 'Batman' movie."
In an other interview with Collider, while promoting Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Zimmer talked about coming up with an unorthodox idea to not only create a new sound for the 3rd film but to open the project up to the fans as well.
"Well, before I started on Sherlock, I had an idea for Dark Knight. I said to Chris [Nolan], “Would it be okay if I got the most outrageous orchestra together and tried this experimental thing?” It involved chanting and all sorts of stuff. And, if I decided that it was just complete rubbish, then we could just throw it away and nobody would ever mention that Hans went and spent all that money. So, I went off and spent weeks writing it. I recorded the piece, and Chris came by and said, “Well, you’ve done half the movie now.” I said, “Well, I don’t think that’s quite true.” But, I think I figured out my cornerstone to the thing. I’m hellishly ambitious on that. The chant became a very complicated thing because I wanted hundreds of thousands of voices, and it’s not so easy to get hundreds of thousands of voices. So, we Twittered and we posted on the internet, for people who wanted to be part of it. It seemed like an interesting thing. We’ve created this world, over these last two movies, and somehow I think the audience and the fans have been part of this world. We do keep them in mind. And I thought it would be something nice, if our audiences could actually be part of the making of the movie and be participants in this. So, we’ve got this website up, www.ujam.com, where you can go on and be part of it. It was fantastic. The first Tweet that went out just melted our server because we had tens of thousands of people a second, trying to get onto the site.You always want to create a sound that nobody has ever heard, but I think, this time, we might be doing that. As a musician, I think about what environment things are recorded in. Now, you have hundreds of thousands of voices, all recorded in their own individual environment. Up until now, that’s been impossible to do. There’s a lot of people doing a lot of editing, as well."
When asked if he cared about online reviews and criticism, Hans said
"I read it. My character is flawed, and I read it and suffer terribly when people don’t like what I do, or misunderstand it, but I learn things from it. Every and any conversation you have about the thing that you’re most interested in – which in my case, happens to be the movies I’m working on – might not be a novel conversation, but somebody’s point of view does make me think about things. Other than the really bitter and twisted stuff, I think people, especially with The Dark Knight franchise, are very interested in us making a good movie, and they’re trying to cheer us on, and they’re trying to make suggestions that are actually helpful to us. So, I am very aware of what’s going on out there."
Zimmer elaborated on the "chant" used for the big Bane reveal. He said
"It’s nice to have the whole world join in on a chant. My only problem is that they’re so well-behaved on the chanting right now. If anybody goes onto UJAM right now, I need a little bit more. If you want to be heard, get a little louder, get a little more aggressive. It’s not necessarily his through-line; it will be an aspect of it. Right now we’re all focusing on the chant because that’s all you guys are hearing. It’s a very small part of the score, but I think there is something wonderful about finding a way of having the people who really care for this movie be participants in this movie."




[sourc] MTV, Collider

-Eric Chacón

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT POLICY

We’re all here for the same reason: to share information, to discuss all things pop-culture, to better ourselves as writers, directors, cinematographers, producers, photographers... whatever our creative pursuit happens to be.

Criticism is valuable as long as it is "constructive", but personal attacks are grounds for deletion; you don't have to agree with us to learn something. We’re all here to help each other, so thank you for adding to the conversation!